[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

habj sweetadelaide at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 08:19:43 UTC 2006

2006/12/21, Neil Harris <usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk>:

> On the other hand, if our fictional user 武 has his name rendered beside
> a Latin script nick on en:, other users will instantly be able to put a
> name to him: specifically, his real name, Takeshi, the same one as in
> the kanji version of his true username, which will always be present
> beside it on en: (Indeed, if they talk with or about him for long
> enough, they will come to recognise that kanji character, too.)

Could you please specify what you mean by "nick" in context? Do you
refer to the username, which is a common meaning of "nick" and
"nickname" - or to an addition, something to be shown along the
username for easier identification for those who can not see the
characters in question?

I understood the suggestion as people should be able to have a
username with any kind of characters in it on any wiki, but they
should be asked to add something - not into the actual username, but
in some field that we currently do not have - in some kind an alphabet
understandable on the local wiki, or similar, for easier
identification. It is similar to Brigitte's suggestion of displaying
the user number, but with something more easy to remember than just a
number. GerardM's reactions make me wonder if i misunderstood.

/habj