[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Guillaume Paumier guillom.pom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 18:26:36 UTC 2006

Some thoughts (copied from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Username#Clarification ):

The facts are:
* for the moment, non latin accounts are blocked on sight.
* in the very future, SUL will merge all accounts from the same person into
one single account.

What bastique and others, including me, ask is:
* blocking accounts in a different alphabet should not be the default
behavior anywhere, neither on the english-language wikipedia nor on the
japanese or russian ones.
* If people use their account to add interwikis sometimes, there should be
no problem with them keeping their non latin username.
* If people are active on the project, we assume they know the language at
least a little. Thus, we can ask them to use an alias (see
[[Special:Preferences]] > signature) readable by the people on this project.

--
Guillaume Paumier
Disciplus Simplex