[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 14:10:53 UTC 2006

--- David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20/12/06, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The problem is fairly simple, people who speak
> only English don't
> > bother installing language support on their
> computers, even though
> > (AFAIK) it is included with all operating systems
> these days. All they
> > need to do is get their installation CD out and
> turn it on.
>

> The actual problem is similar characters in
> usernames (which I
> understand is being addressed) and distinguishing
> bot-gibberish from
> actual plausible names.
>
> en: gets stupendous amounts of vandalism, and it's a
> huge amount of
> botwork and semi-botwork just coping with it.
>
> Saying "you bad bad en: admins, stop doing this"
> won't make the actual
> vandalism problem go away. I eagerly await hearing
> thread that deal with the fact that there is an
> actual problem this
> was put in place as a response to. If ja: says "en:,
> stop doing this"
> without offering a solution, en: isn't going to take
> a whole lot of
> notice as the problem affects en: rather than ja:
>

> - d.

What is the problem with:

A) not blocking users who are obviously good faith

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/%E4%BB%A3%E8%A8%80%E4%BA%BA

B) Blocking usernames which actually vandalize

(After checking two dozen blocked account I agave up
finding an example of a non-latin vandal, but I do not
doubt that there are a few)

C) Watching the contributions of non-latin usernames
which have not made any contributions with an IRC bot
until they become either A or B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Contributions/%EC%84%9C%EC%B0%AC%ED%98%B8

I do not see a problem that is hard to solve here.

Birgitte SB