[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Rory Stolzenberg rory096 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 09:39:19 UTC 2006

On 12/20/06, Rory Stolzenberg <rory096 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/06, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:

> I also thought that the blocks were just done by admins and weren't
> actually in policy, but it turns out that [[en:WP:USERNAME]] does indeed say
> " *Names with non-Latin <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_alphabet>characters:
> * Unfortunately, most of your fellow editors will be unable to read a name
> written in Cyrillic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, or other scripts. Many of
> them will also be additionally burdened, as such names may be displayed for
> them only as question marks ("??? ??"), squares ("□□□ □□"), replacement
> characters ("??? ??") or worse, nonsense or mojibake<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojibake>("Ã!%ôs*"). If your name is usually written in a non-Latin script, please
> consider transliterating <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transliteration> it
> to avoid confusion, and allow easier access to your talk page by typing your
> name in the search field or URL bar." under the "Inappropriate usernames"
> section. I'm about to go through the history to see when it was added.

Surprisingly, I actually did what I said I would do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia%3AUsername&diff=43879592&oldid=43878407is
the diff. There's nothing in the talk page archive at or before the
addition, though there is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Username/archive01#Usernames .
However, admins probably blocked for this well before the addition, and
there's all that stuff about policy reflecting current practice and whatnot.