[Foundation-l] Translations fundraising.wikimedia.org

SJ Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 04:02:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Aphaia wrote:

> On 12/20/06, SJ Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It could be neat to have small icons with two-letter codes in them to
>> represent each language; they could have color to make them easy to pick
>> out of a list.  I feel I've seen a good example of this before, but can't
>> recall where.
>
> Much better, and in which script? Such letter-codes most of its
> speakers are simply unfamiliar might make no sense ...

At least the ISO code letters in latin script.  Perhaps also 2 letters
in a script native to that language, for non-latin languages (at which
point we may not be able to rely on an outside standard and might
be starting a new set of 1- or 2-character abbreviations for languages
in their own script... perhaps we could find a language organization
that wants to take on choosing and maintaining such a collection.)

SJ