[Foundation-l] Sep11 Wiki/Partnership Message Removal/Mr. Wales Concerns

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Tue Dec 19 10:07:06 UTC 2006

I located a reference to a "partnership" on hosting the
sep11.wikipedia.org website on one of my personal websites which
referred to this project where
WMG took over the hosting and server costs for the sep11.wikipedia.org
domain for the Foundation.   This appears to be the source of the
confusion on the part of folks about this topic.

Mr. Wales has expressed concerns about our hosting of the
sep11.wikipedia.org domain as request by Erik Moeller since
it may create the impression of a "partnership" between WMF and WMG,
which should be avoided.

I am going to leave the site active for now, but I would suggest peraps
wikia.com take over this task to avoid remove any discomfort on
the part of Mr. Wales, or at a minimum, the stakeholders contact Wales
and find out what his beef is with the decision.

I would ask that Erik Moeller check with Mr. Wales on whether we should
continue to host this site or have wikia.com or one of
the chapters take it over.

Thanks

Jeff