[Foundation-l] [Wmfcc-l] Fundraising start

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Dec 16 05:58:38 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> The anonymous donor is a friend of mine, a friend of Wikimedia, who asks
> for absolutely nothing in return.  He doesn't even care to be recognized.
>
> What's to defend or explain? :)  Some rich people love our work and
> would like to help.

Yeah, that seems perfectly fine to me.  Actually I'm surprised it was
the *anonymous* donor people would be worried about.  Personally I'm a
bit wary of the non-anonymous donors being listened in
sitenotices---someone paying money to get their name on the top of all
Wikipedia pages for a time (as "thanks", naturally) sounds awfully like
the functional equivalent of them buying ad space, only with the quid
pro quo more implicit...

-Mark