[Foundation-l] wikipedia.it

bbatsell wikipedia at theskeptik.com
Thu Dec 14 20:12:37 UTC 2006

On Dec 14, 2006, at 1:58 PM, Brad Patrick wrote:

> "Fork" is not the right word.  They own a domain extension in the
> TLD for
> Italia.  We would like it.  This use is absolutely not a WMF project.

Looking at the WHOIS data for wikipedia.it, the Organization it is
registered to is "Associazione Wikipedia Italia" (which translates,
roughly, to Wikipedia Italy Association).  The person listed as the
registrant is "Luca Venturini", who is also the registrant for
yepa.com.  In the United States at least, per The Fraudulent Online
Identity Sanctions Act, it is illegal to misrepresent any information
in WHOIS data; it would be interesting to find out whether a similar
law exists in Italy.  We also might have a case for [[UDRP]]; I'm not
sure if Wikimedia has ever attempted to gain control of any other
squatted domains.