[Foundation-l] wikipedia.it

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 17:56:31 UTC 2006

On 12/14/06, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> On 12/14/06, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oh, I didn't know that. If this is so, yes, then it would be a major
> > step forward (I thought we had had a banner-free redirect before, but
> > this seems to be wrong)
>
> It's a step backwards. A "Hosted by Yepa" message above all Wikipedia
> pages misleads people. A website that is clearly not Wikipedia does
> not.
Well... An ad-free redirect (as in wikipedia.de) would surely be the
best way (and what we shall want to achieve). But a redirect with a
banner is certainly better than a redirect to some anonymous webmail
thing. And besides, there is a link in the banner where it is
explained, that content is under free license and what Wikipedia is
etc.
Michael