[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation's help to the projects

Anthere Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 13 23:36:53 UTC 2006

Michael Bimmler wrote:
> On 12/13/06, Yann Forget <yann at forget-me.net> wrote:
>

>>1. Legal counselling.
>>
>>Some projects (mainly Commons and Wikisource) need more input about
>>copyright issues from knowledgeable persons. I have asked twice to
>>juriwiki-l specific issues for Wikisource without receiving an answer,
>>even an acknowledgement that my request was received. Another concrete
>>example: Commons and Wikisource would benefit most from a cross table
>>about copyright rules, which countries use "most favourable rule apply",
>>etc.
>>

> I really wonder about the status of the following bodies or positions:
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Legal_department Is / was this ever
> official? If yes, is it the appropriate point of contact?
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Lead_Legal_Coordinator (Soufron) Is
> this still an active position? If yes, how is it related to the
> General Counsel? Who is the appropriate contact for project legal
> issues? Jean-Baptiste Soufron or Brad?
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Juriwiki_mailing_list Is this
> mailinglist active (i.e. are there discussions going on at the
> moment)? Should it still be contacted?

To answer very generally on whether all that information is still
relevant and updated.

I'd say that to a very large extent, most of the information about the
Foundation, located on meta, is outdated. Most of the information on the
Foundation site is correct.

There is no "official" legal department and no legal officer. The Lad
legal coordinator is no more an active position. The coordinator is
Brad, our General Counsel. However, there are several jurists or lawyers
helping us on various issues. The contact to use is Brad. If he does not
answer, complain to the board :-)

The juriwiki list still exist. Though not very active.

Aphaia comments on press issues may receive very similar feedback. Meta
pages are mostly outdated. The most valid pages are those about the
committees and those about the chapters.

Now, about the *good* question: why not updating them ?
Well, lack of time certainly. But mostly, lack of clarity on the matter.
This is part of a more general issue, the current organisation is not so
good, we need to change it, we brainstormed on it already, but did not
come to an agreeemnt (yet).

This is definitly something to work on. It is on the todo, once even
more urgent issues are fixed.

Ant