[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation's help to the projects

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Dec 13 20:43:09 UTC 2006

Yann Forget wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I think that there are several areas where the projects would benefit
>from a more proactive help from the Foundation. I will speak about two here:
>
>1. Legal counselling.
>
>Some projects (mainly Commons and Wikisource) need more input about
>copyright issues from knowledgeable persons. I have asked twice to
>juriwiki-l specific issues for Wikisource without receiving an answer,
>even an acknowledgement that my request was received. Another concrete
>example: Commons and Wikisource would benefit most from a cross table
>about copyright rules, which countries use "most favourable rule apply",
>etc.

Attorneys are  barred from giving legal advice unless they represent you
by the rules of
professional conduct.  This one is kind of problematic.  They can,
however, publish
guidelines of sorts.

>2. Helping small projects. It seems that some projects have a difficult
>start. Indian languages projects are my first examples. I will go to
>India in January, and I would like to use this opportunity to recruit
>new contributors. The Foundation could help coordinate this kind of
>recruitement.

I have someone working on Sanskrit already, but not hindi.   Someone
needs to get
a good hindi project going.

Jeff