[Foundation-l] [Wikichix-l] Moderating an open list

Finne Boonen hennar at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 08:05:18 UTC 2006

On 12/5/06, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2006/12/5, Puppy <puppy at killerchihuahua.com>:
>
> > It was about a solution to women not being comfortable on WP due to
> > bias. Whether that solution is a good one or not was /not/ being
> > addressed.
>

> Well, I felt it was, but maybe it just means I and others have not been
> clear in our arguments. I think it would be a very bad solution, because it
> would not help one iota. If we want to make Wikipedia more woman-friendly,
> then Wikipedia is the place to work. That might sound like a triviality, but
> someone who finds Wikipedia an unhospitable place for them, will still find
> it unhospitable if there is a small secluded corner to talk with others of
> the same feeling.

Indeed, however having this small corner to return to to get recharged
with the original enthusiam you brought to wikipedia means you won't
burn out because of the bad apples.  There are ppl on the wikipedia
that I prefer not spending 1-1 time with, there are ppl on the
mailinglist that I prefer not spending 1-1 and there are ppl in
various irc channels concerning wikimedia by now that I don't prefer
spending 1-1 time with!

What my experience with linuxchix&Systers has thought me is that on
these mailinglist explicit problems are ussually not discussed, ppl
don't complain about person X or person Y, instead they talk about
general things that happened, I feel threatened/I feel that I'm always
ignored/We've got a few ppl insulting others randomly/.. what's a good
way to handle this? ....

The ultimate goal for linuxchix for instance is having no members left
because there is no need for this. I expect similar ideas for this new
list.

btw, interesting things to read on this subject, even tho they're
focused on IT/linux
*howto encourage Women into Linux (already mentioned)
*Unlocking the clubhouse (by Jane Margolis and Allan Fisher, MIT Press)

henna
--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"