[Foundation-l] Gender issues, a short analysis

Christophe Henner christophe.henner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 01:43:09 UTC 2006

I don't think statistics are so usefull. In fact the main problem is a
daily comments problem. In fact, it's more in some sentences we think
meaningless. Jokes and little sentence hurts women on a long term, I
don't think this is the answer to one or two sentence, it's more the
answer of days and days of those "meaningless" sentences. A friend of
mine just told me, there's rarely big sexism problems BUT there's a
LOT of answers in discussion that ARE sexist, but not like "You're a
women you're not allowed to speak", it's just a difference in
comportment. A really good exemple. On a RfA for a man:
#supporte, even if you have a bad temper you will make a great job.
for a woman:
#oppose, even if you would make a great job, you'va a bad temper.

On nearlly the same ground, it's just like in real life, the women
have to prove the double they deserve responsabilities.

Anthere highlighted it, Angela and here made and make a great job for
the wikimedia foundation. But even making a great job, there's people
to say they are on the board only cause they are female.

This is the problem, the main problem, our comportment is different
for a mùan and a woman. We ask to woman to be tempered, nice, polite,
and so on, or we won't give her responsabilities. But a bad tempered
contributors, making the same job as the woman, will have the sysop
status... his bad temper forgiven... only because he is a man...

Men, just imagine a sec, you found a project really great, you help at
it. more than 80% are female. Every day you can read some little
"meaningless" sexist sentence. The day you ask for responsabilities,
we ask you to provide double work. And when you point that there's a
sexism problem... you have sexist jokes? What would you do?
--
schiste