[Foundation-l] OLPC & Windows?

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 23:23:28 UTC 2006

galwaygirl schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I just came across this worrying news item:
> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2170209/microsoft-looking-windows-olpc
>
> Does anyone know more about this? Is it really true?
>
> Galwaygirl
Hoi,
There are two sides to this story. The standard hardware that runs the
OLPC software nicely will not run the Windows software. Consequently
many of the advantages of using this system go out of the window (pun
intended) because extra hardware will require more power and it is
exactly the low power functionality that makes this system shine. The
only "dark" side that I see, is that as the system can be made to run
such extended services, it will become more of an object people are
willing to steal. The bright side is that when it can run Windows, there
is room for extending the functionality of the hardware. This may make
the system also more interesting for the western market where the superb
ability to run with limited power is less relevant.

Thanks,
    GerardM