[Foundation-l] [Wikichix-l] Moderating an open list

Puppy puppy at KillerChihuahua.com
Tue Dec 5 14:22:46 UTC 2006

Gatto Nero wrote:
>> Fair enough?
>>

> Fair enough.
> But could I use what happened as an example, rewriting what I've said
> in a personal mail about this topic?
>
> Try to imagine all our friction in a context where there is a
> women-only-ML. (I'll try to put it simple, damn'd language problems :D
> )
>
> I say something that you perceive as an offense.
> You go to Wikichix-l and start talking about it... and the issue
> become bigger and bigger. The problem is that - talking in a "private"
> list - I've not the possibility to explain myself, or to undestand my
> error. We said: the problem becomes bigger and bigger
> Only then you return to foundation-l. You explain what your problem
> is, but this problem is now amplificated. And solve this issue is more
> complicate, if not impossibile.
>
> This is why I'm worried about Wikichix. We have problem of
> communication... we should be more direct.
>
> Gatto Nero / Claudio
Valid issue, which I will add to my concerns that women will feel even
more "second class" if they are only protected from harassment if on a
women's only list, and that men who think there is no problem will not
have that misconception challenged if they never see or hear about it.

There has been a near-constant dichotomy in this whole discussion (all
threads and lists) wherein some men have been saying both "we don't
reply to sexist comments because we don't feed trolls" and "the answer
is not to have separate lists, but make this one women-friendly". And
those two cannot be aligned. If you want the list to be women-friendly,
then sexist remarks or dismissive statements must be universally
decried, /especially/ by men. A zero-tolerance policy, if you will. The
LinuxChix FAQ makes this point clearly:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/x168.html section (
3.2 especially. )

-kc-