[Foundation-l] [Wikichix-l] Moderating an open list

Matt R matt_crypto at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 5 14:22:38 UTC 2006

--- Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is not necessarily their aim to address you or all men.

That may necessarily be their aim, but I stand by my statement, which was:

  "If the WikiChix are going to have an impact on Wikipedia at large, one of
the things they're going to have to do is talk to men about it at some point."

(Perhaps I'd revise "have an" to "maximise their".)

> When you fail to grasp the examples of this problem as they are
> presented, the amount of traffic that this topic generates might serve
> as an indicator that there is an issue for many that needs to be addressed.

What makes you think I fail to "grasp the examples"? I don't deny that many
women find Wikipedia and its satellite fora to have an off-putting atmosphere,
and I am supportive of efforts to change that; however I believe that
segregation is a mistake. Your [[traffic analysis]] doesn't allow for the
possibility that the WikiChix have made an error in setting up their forum. I
think they have (by making it female-only). In all likelihood there would have
been minimal opposition to WikiChix if it had been non-discriminatory.

-- Matt

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Matt_Crypto
Blog: http://cipher-text.blogspot.com