[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 10:18:12 UTC 2006

On 05/12/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> Women have, like men, the ability to contribute. The way they contribute
> is not necessarily the same. When you read the motivation for the
> mailing list, you would have read that there is a group of women who
> feel ill at ease and as a consequence refrain from contributing to our
> projects. The fact that so many men are sceptical about this, shows
> either that they have not read the motivation, do not believe the
> motivation but what it does not prove at all is that they are right.

Well, is the motivation for the list a male-free environment in which
Wikimedia issues can be discussed or is it an aggression-free
environment? If it is the former, what it is it about men which means
that they should always be excluded from discussion. If it is the
latter, then surely there are plenty men who feel discussion on the
other lists are too aggressive and need more politeness and emotional
awareness.

Again, I am not skeptical about this as a man, I am skeptical about
this as a genderless contributor.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)