[Foundation-l] Introducing a new mailing list

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 01:57:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Corum O' Fallamhain wrote:

> Since women have the ability to contribute here the same as men, I really
> don't see why this is needed. Surely the scepticism being shown to this idea
> from many men is proof positive of the fact that no-one is being opressed.
> How ironic to have women in this day and age proposing their own seperate
> mailing list from men, since so many feminists fought so hard for gender
> equality. This looks to me like a step backward.

Surely.  I congratulate you on your rapier wit, but I fear that most list
readers will take your words at face value.

One of my most intrinsically NPOV friends, who had a hard time grasping
racial and cultural differentiation as a child, despite being a minority
in the US, spent some time at a meditation retreat here that excluded
whites.  She commented that it was a wonderful event, with an instantly
noticable level of comfort; which had nothing to do with skin color per
se and everything to do with shared experience; presumably the same
effect could be had in any country by excluding the dominant tribe.

SJ,
still rereading Lars's lovely post.