[Foundation-l] Wikiyouth

James Hare messedrocker at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 12:18:32 UTC 2006

In the spirit of announcing a mailing list for women, I would like to
announce a wiki and message board for the youth (20 and under) of wiki
communities. Below is our announcement letter / about page, since I feel it
bests describe the mission and I'll be darned if I make a redundant message.

Are you an advocate of youth rights on the Internet?

Have you ever used or edited a wiki, such as the world-famous Wikipedia?

Then we want you to join the Wiki Youth Movement.

http://www.wikiyouth.org/

Wikis like Wikipedia allow young people everywhere to share knowledge, ideas
and experiences. But wherever young people use the Internet, they are faced
with reactionary and condescending views. Fearful adults try to regulate the
content they can see and the communities they can contribute to. The Wiki
Youth Association seeks to give young readers, users and editors a voice.

Beyond demanding equal treatment as wiki contributors, our goal is to build
a shared understanding of wiki ethics. Vandalism and immature behavior are
condemned on most wikis, and sensible learning approaches for new wiki users
are encouraged. We want to have fun, but not at the expense of others. We
want to help you to understand the maze of wiki-rules, so that you too can
have fun.

We would also like to give intelligent young people a shared social space
where they can talk about their experiences in not only wiki communities,
but also their daily lives. eventually, we hope that we can develop the WYA
into a true social movement which organizes events and campaigns. But our
initial goals are modest: we only want to become the single largest
world-wide community of young wiki users.

The WYA is not a formal organization. There is no membership other than
registration for our wiki and forums.

Join today!