[Foundation-l] English Wikipedia ethnocentric policy affects other communities

Sam Korn smoddy at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 12:19:07 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jealousy, hell not for me. OmegaWiki has its own momentum and is doing
> quite well thank you. When you consider the amount of press projects in
> other languages get, it is quite similar remember, the Dutch Wikipedia
> is world famous in the Netherlands and Belgium. What I argued was that
> the English language Wikipedia has the resources to withstand abuse from
> vandals. For the record I do think the English Wikipedia is doing a
> splendid job.

And the implementation of SUL has the potential to harm this splendid
job.  Yes, it's overall a good thing, but it has it's problems, and
this thread has been nothing but people moaning about en.wikipedia and
en.wikipedia getting understandably annoyed.

> > Nonsense.  All that has been changed is that the sledgehammer policy
> > currently in use is now outdated and overblown and should be
> > *modified* to take these considerations into account.  The arguments
> > for the practice have not changed; the arguments against the practice
> > have been strengthened, however, and that's a completely different
> > kettle of fish
> The arguments for the current policy have already largely gone away.
> With SUL the arguments will be even less relevant.

How?  How have they gone away?  Do you know what the arguments ARE?

> And thank you for the
> acknowledgement that the current practice is outdated and overblown.

You will find few who disagree with me or you on this matter.  So stop
arguing with them.

--
Sam