[Foundation-l] when uploading pictures to commons ....

Walter van Kalken walter at vankalken.net
Mon Dec 18 11:17:22 UTC 2006

When people upload files to commons it would be nice if they would
consider that not everyone out there has the latest PC hardware.

My pc is a pentium IV, 2 ghz, with 1gb of RAM and a 64 mb graphics card.
Not the worst system out there I would think. I found a new map added to
the India article on the nl.wikipedia. Which looked quite nice so I
wanted to see the original version of it. I clicked on it and crash
there went firefox. Now I have managed to open the file but it
completely eats all of my computer resources! It eats 100% of my CPU
capacity and 500 mb of RAM for just this file (add to this the 250 mb of
RAM that gets eaten by the usual programs on my pc and I get very close
to my max). So when people upload files please see to it that people
with lower configurations can use it! Most people simply do not work
with the latest hardware available!

It is this file btw:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/78/India_roadway_map.svg
Waerth