[Foundation-l] Non-commercial images

luke brandt shojokid at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 04:56:13 UTC 2006

Peter van Londen wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> My first post on this list.
>
> We have once again a debate on the dutch wikipedia about licenses of
> images.
> This one particular is non-commercial. The debate is about if images that
> can only be used non-commercially are compatible with the GFDL-license of
> the wikipedia.
>
> Based on this post about Resolutions about images from Anthere (8/16/06)
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-August/009230.html in
> which is stated that
> 1) Non commercial and non-derivative: resolution dropped: to be expected,
> recommendations publiced by blogs from Jimbo
> 2) Fair use to be forbidden for use in Wikipedia: resolution dropped,
> because there was no vote.
>
> Question 1: Jimbo will you make recommendations on the NCND-subject as was
> mentioned?
>
> Based on this answer from Eloquence/Erik Moeller:
> http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-August/009231.html.
> Erik disagreed.
>
> Question 2: Erik will you bring this issue up in a board meeting, now you
> are part of the board?
>
> In my opinion licenses of images should be compatible with the license of
> the Wikipedia. But there is some doubt...
>
> Question 3: Is it possible that you can license the text with GFDL and
> license the accompanying images with non-free-enough licenses at the same
> time.
>
> I think this is an issue that should be decided by the board, as this is an
> issue for all wikimedia-projects.
>
> Kind regards
> Londenp

Hi Peter,

>From what I understand (but please someone correct me if I misunderstood
the reports) the Wikimedia Board didn't vote last time these matters
were raised because it prefers to allow autonomy.

At present there is a debate (in which other list subscribers may also
be interested) on various "fair use" topics (including non-commercial
licenses) on the EN Wikipedia:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Fair_use

Also see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

and this analysis:-

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Do_fair_use_images_violate_the_GFDL%3F

Hope that will help a bit for the Netherlands Wikipedia

luke