[Foundation-l] wikipedia.it

Michiel Sikma michiel at thingmajig.org
Thu Dec 14 19:43:43 UTC 2006

On December 14, 2006, at 6:19 PM, Michael Bimmler wrote:

> I just heard (and saw), that when going to wikipedia.it, there is now
> a grey banner at the head, stating "hosted by yepa and a link to
> http://wikipedia.it/disclaimer.html".

This is terrible. It's a blatant misuse of the Wikipedia brand, which
stands for free and neutral information without conditions. It does
not stand for advertisements. This big banner is an advertisement and
therefore an endorsement. How can anybody trust the information in
the Italian Wikipedia to be neutral if it has a big commercial label
on it?

> I wonder a bit, whether this has
> been discussed with italian wikipedia community and whether WMF is all
> right with this (after all this is probably the way through which most
> italians access itwiki, rather than via it.wikipedia.org)

Hmm. So when going to it.wikipedia.org, there is no banner. Yet, when
going to www.wikipedia.it, there is. So that means that
www.wikipedia.it is really a fork of the Italian Wikipedia, except
with that one extra banner added to the top? I'm not sure whether it
is, but that would be a misuse of the Wikipedia brand, I recon, since
our logo and name cannot simply be used by whoever wants to use it.

I really do want some more information on this, because I personally
am adamantly against things like this and feel that the Foundation
also would be, as it directly contradicts the essence of Wikipedia.

Michiel Sikma
michiel at thingmajig.org