[Foundation-l] How I should consider GFDL in shared content?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Aug 28 17:39:41 UTC 2006

effe iets anders wrote:

>Ask the community to request the import-function. That function allows
>you to import an article from another wiki with keeping the history
>intact.

The problem with that and transwikied articles in general is that it is
only a raw history.  One cannot go to the edits on the history list to
see what was changed.  This may be fine for fulfilling the technical
requirements of GFDL, but many of the people in the history list may
have contributed material that would be rejected on Wiktionary because
it is encyclopedic.

I view the Transwiki section of Wiktionary as a temporary hold, and
encourage rewriting an article from scratch, after which the Transwiki
article can simply be deleted.

Ec