[Foundation-l] Resignation as CFO

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 28 02:08:24 UTC 2006

In July 2004 I was appointed to the official position of Chief Financial Officer of the Wikimedia
Foundation. The expectation, backed up by repeated calls from myself, was that I would be replaced
by a relevantly trained paid professional when the needs of the foundation became greater than
what I, as a part time volunteer, could provide.

During my tenure, I have helped with bookkeeping, budgeting, financial reporting, and with
fundraising. I am most proud of my work coordinating several fundraisers that together brought in
nearly a million dollars for the foundation. I am least proud of the last nine months, a time when
the board repeatedly failed to meet to discuss proposed budgets I submitted to them or to give me
direction on what we could or could not publish to the community in regards to spending.

Last week, the board informed me that a selection process has been initiated to hire a paid
professional to help run the foundation's finances from the Wikimedia office in Saint Petersburg,
Florida, USA. At the same time, the board informed me that they approved the membership of a
fundraising committee. I will be serving on that committee.

I therefore resign as Chief Financial Officer of the Wikimedia Foundation but will continue to
help where needed during the transition process.

It truly amazes me how long we, as an organization that runs one of the top sites on the Internet,
can go on volunteer time alone. So it is both a sad and happy day for me as I prepare to hand the
baton to a paid professional.

Yours in the wikiway,

Daniel Mayer,
Wikipedian