[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation Website

Amgine amgine at saewyc.net
Thu Aug 24 15:38:44 UTC 2006

I agree with Delphine's assessment of the goals for the
WikimediaFoundation.org site:

1) Inform, generally, what the Foundation does, who is part of it.
2) Serve as a platform for official announcements.
3) Serve as an interface for donations.

I would like to restate this in a somewhat more honest way: IMO the
goal of the WikimediaFoundation.org site is to solicit funds and
publicity.

Where there is multi-lingual content, use of dynamic tools to
automate the presentation to minimize maintenance should be
encouraged. (For example, using DynamicPageList to display the most
recent press releases in a given language, avoiding the need to
update every language main page as the press release is translated.
This could also allow the page to display the most recent releases in
more than one language.) I also agree we should select a limited set
of languages to try to always translate for; I think the translation
subcommittee has identified this set of languages and is working on
doing this.

I'm not sure I agree with SJ's suggestion of presenting detailed
information about the Foundation and its members, projects, and so
on. The reason comes back to the maintenance issue. The more detailed
the information presented, the more likely it is that some or most of
that information will need to be updated as small details are
modified. Consider the number of edits per month to the en.Wikipedia
article on the Wikimedia Foundation[1], nearly 100 edits (including a
major rewrite) in July alone.

Providing enough detail to describe the Foundation and its projects
as well as figures within the Foundation is similar to other NGOs and
corporations; enough detail to answer most questions but not so much
the site becomes a burden to maintain.

Providing a very intuitive interface to the donations system which is
painless and, if possible, enjoyable is a really important role for
the site.

Amgine