[Foundation-l] Wikimania 2008 and reflecting on what Wikimania is all about

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Thu Aug 17 18:01:55 UTC 2006

geni wrote:

>On 8/17/06, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On the subject of size. I am personally not in favour of an
>>*international Wikimedia conference* (keywords international and
>>Wikimedia) that will hold more than 500 people, ever. The reason for
>>this were clear last year, but even clearer this year, ie. opening the
>>conference to 1000 people makes it, in my opinion, lose the
>>"Wikimedia" touch, by bringing many people in who have in the end
>>nothing to do with Wikimedia.
>>

>With the number of contributers we have (heck we have well over 1000
>admins across the various project) 1000 does not seem to be an
>illogicaly high number in future.

I do hope that Wikimania never gets to the size of mega-conferences like
Comdex (which collpased under its own weight).  Still, as has been
pointed out above, the number of Wikimedia participants has grown
considerably, and there are more that 250 "active" Wikimedia projects
right now with signficant content.  Getting even one rep from each one
would be quite an undertaking at the moment.

--
Robert Scott Horning