[Foundation-l] bylaws (second call)

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 12:33:33 UTC 2006

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bylaws_update

It is still here.
new text is proposed. Please comment.

This text, amongst other things, removes the notion of membership. If
you do not comment, nor propose another way to handle membership, the
Foundation will not legally have members. You will not be Foundation
members.

Another issue I think matters is making it even clearer what our mission
is. I think we all agree we are working so that our content stays
available to the largest number of people on earth. We aim at lowering
the barriers of language (in being multilingual) as well as financial
barriers. And we seek reusability as a dogma.

Right now, people can reuse our content in three ways.

They can use the dumps. Everyone has full access to the entire content;
it is not so easy to reuse though. And update are roughly once a month only.

Second, they can use the html dump. Everyone has full access to the
entire content; it is easier to reuse. Updates are very poor
(understatement)

Third, they can use live feeds. This requires cash (so, the barrier gets
higher). Update is by definition live.

Fourth, they can copy and paste page by page. This is free, live. But it
is a hell of a job.

I'd like us to consider the future. Not next month. Not even next
spring. But maybe in 2 or 3 years.

Do we want html dumps to be more frequent ?

Do we want regular dumps to be more frequent ?

Could it happen that all attempts to automatically "feed" on the content
  may be blockable ? And that a requirement be made to "pay" to get the
content in a decent fashion ?

Doing dumps is currently free. But one may argue in the future that
dumps actually requires employee working time. And one might argue that
this cost money and that this service should require by default
financial participation.

If so, the license will be respected, since everyone will be able to
simply copy and paste content by hand, but will the *spirit* of sharing
information with the world be respected ? I think that as soon as we
start making people pay to get the content, it will not be since it will
put a barrier to access.
Another barrier still respecting the license would be to provide dumps
for free, but only for example, once a year.

I'd like that a note saying that global database content will always be
made available for free from internet.

For that purpose, I actually think that our current "purpose" and "goal"
as stated in the proposal, do not stress enough the "freedom" of
content, as opposed to the "free of charge access".

I fear a slipery slope here, which I think is already starting with the
concept of monetizing live feed.

I'd like some feedback on those thoughts please.

(with in mind that I do trust *entirely* current board members on such
issues, but do not necessarily trust those who might come in the
future). I am just trying to look ahead of potential dark pits.
The fact it is ahead does not mean it is less dangerous :-)

Anthere