[Foundation-l] Incubator Logo

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Aug 1 16:42:28 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:

>Imagine Oldak... that for some reasons the projects (one or several)
>separate from the Foundation. Do you think it is "legally" wise that a
>project logo is actually a distorsion of the Foundation logo ?

Since project logos and names are trademarked by the WMF, what would be
the difference?  I really don't see what the problem would be here for
the Incubator logo, as it really is intended to be a service to the
Wikimedia projects and is in a way a child of the WMF.  Approval for
such a project (like this incubator project) should in theory have been
before the board before it gets started, which already implies a huge
legal connection to the WMF anyway.

If a project did decide to go off on its own, do its own fundraising
etc., it is likely to be schismatic anyway due to a major policy
dispute.  In that case, it would simply be a fork of the content and not
necessarily a project leaving quietly being "spun-off" as a completely
seperate legal entity.  Even then, logos would likely need to be changed
substantially and perhaps even new project names created.

--
Robert Scott Horning