[Foundation-l] Optional advertisement on wikipedia

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Apr 23 05:03:25 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> I'd guess the open questions would be:
>
> 1) How would this impact the charitable non-profit status of WMF?

The general rule is that a non-profit organization should have at least
one-third of its annual income come from a combination of: governmental
donations, donations from other public charities, and small (less than
2% of total income each) donations from the general public and private
charities (large donations can still have the first 2% counted).  If
that all adds up to less than 1/3, things get considerably more complicated.

Whether advertising income would cause a problem depends on how much we
expect to get, and how much in large donations from private individuals
and charities we typically get.

-Mark