[Foundation-l] [Wikipedia-l] Language versions' popularity vs. number of articles (vs. number of speakers)

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 11:12:49 UTC 2006

Hoi,
I have read the thread as it was published so far and I am amazed that
nobody mentioned one simple reason why people do not edit or add content
to the Arab, the Farsi, the Hebrew and Assamese projects .. It is too
bloody hard. When you say "everybody can edit", it is as if it is the
same effort is involved. I read somewhere where an African president
said; "we do not have scripts yet for all of our indigenous languages.
When the yi.wikipedia celebrated its 1000th article Gangleri was thanked
for his hard work to make this technically possible. When I created some
Farsi training material on Wikibooks, I needed two browsers to complete
certain tasks; both Internet Explorer and Firefox were not up to the task.

Gangleri does a great job, he is imho one of the most valuable
Wikimedians because he tries to make it possible to have information in
all languages. To take things to the next level, we need more
developers; people of all the language families and make sure with them
that MediaWiki is up to the task. So far we have been self
congratulatory about how well we do. We profess that we want to do
better in Africa Asia and South America. We can if we make it a priority.

For me improving these issues /is/ a priority. http://WiktionaryZ.org
requires good support for all languages. I am happy that we initiated
the "Multilingual Mediawiki" project as it will further improve the
multilingual capabilities of MediaWiki. It will still not do all the
things that are necessary to make MediaWiki as easy to edit as it is for
us. For that I need people that speak Hindi Assamese Twi Farsi Arab
Hebrew and help us define what /their /problem with our software is and
when we are lucky help us fix these issues.

Thanks,
    GerardM