[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Meta:MetaProject to Overhaul Meta

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 01:37:51 UTC 2006

Kernigh wrote:
> Elisabeth Bauer <elian at ...> writes:
>

>> When we started Wikimedia Deutschland, we decided to use meta-wiki to
>> host the wiki pages related to the verein instead of hosting them on the
>> german wikipedia. The effect: nothings happens there. ...
>>

> That might not be the right cause. For example, I use English-language pages on
> meta.wikimedia.org mostly for interproject situations. If I want to know about
> IRC channels or new project proposals, I use Meta. However, I still mostly
> ignore the Foundation pages, and I would continue to mostly ignore them even if
> they were at en.wikibooks.org instead of Meta.
> -- [[Wikibooks:en:User:Kernigh]]
Hoi,
The Dutch chapter went another way; we have a http://nl.wikimedia.org
since we started working on a chapter. This worked well in that it gave
focus. Then again focus is a double edged sword. As to ignoring Meta, it
is still the only and the best place to find what lives in the Wikimedia
community. With an expressed expectation that you would ignore its
content even when it is right in front of you, you lose the validity of
an argument that nobody tried to inform you.... You can lead a horse to
water, you cannot make it drink.

Thanks,
   GerardM