[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Meta:MetaProject to Overhaul Meta

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 11:30:55 UTC 2006

On 4/2/06, Gordon Joly <gordon.joly at pobox.com> wrote:

> Can I just add my name to the list who have complained in the past
> that Meta is not useful for some aspects of our work? I was concerned
> that information about the inception of "Wikimedia UK" was hard to
> find, duplicated etc. This meant that many volunteers who might have
> taken part got lost on the way or may never have known about the
> existence of the team (who worked very hard and drank some good "real
> ale" on Sunday afternoons:-)

That was good ale :-)

> The main difference between, say, IRC (and email) and a wiki is that
> a the former are linear (by timestamp) and the latter (a set of Wiki
> pages) is not.
>
> A recent example of "Wikimeia UK" existing on a island was that
> (previously discussed) total lack of any involvement from Welsh
> speakers, who may or may not live in Wales. If "Wikimedia UK" wants
> to be inclusive, and democratic, it has to open the doors a little
> wider, and not live in "Meta Space", but In Real Life.
>
> Hence, I would submit to you that Mediawiki 1.5.x and 1.6.x may not
> be the "magic bullet". A wiki is poor tool for many jobs.

But I don't understand what you're getting at here. As you remember,
information on Wikimedia UK was quite spread out - so I made a
navigational template (horrible at first - then a bit nicer).

The fact that people might not be using the Wikimedia UK pages (if
that's true) is a symptom of the fact that *we* haven't provided for
that. That's you, me, and the others who have been working on this
over the last few months. If you want to get participation of and
ideas from Welsh speakers, you use a variety of methods (email, wiki,
IRC, real-life meetings) and a variety of these mailing lists, wikis,
chatrooms and community gatherings to bring together some ideas. The
fact that it's not what we want it to be right now is nothing to do
with Meta *itself*.

Cormac