[Foundation-l] Authoring on wikijunior : providing private information.

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 05:37:02 UTC 2005

Nicholas Moreau wrote:

> Wikijunior, as many already know, is publishing a series of books, the first
> of which is funded by the mysterious Beck Foundation.
>
> This message has worried many of us:
>
> "According to the United States Code for registering a copyrighted work, you
> must include your nationality (what country you claim citizenship in) and
> the country you are currently residing in, if different. It is also
> suggested by the U.S. Copyright office to include the year you were born,
> for identification purposes. They also ask for the year of death, and if you
> know of a Wikibookian who has passed away, this would also be useful. How
> exactly we are going to collect this information for users and contributors
> of this Wikibooks is totally unknown, and is going to be an interesting
> little ride. Please add comments in the discussion
> page<http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=Talk:Wikijunior_Big_Cats/Authors&action=edit>if
> you have any reservations about giving this information out. This is
> moving into new territory here, so we don't know exactly what is going to be
> required or if new policies should or ought to be developed."
>
> (sample of the pages in question:
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior_Big_Cats/Authors)
>
> We are going to publish formal credit to any contributor that provides their
> name, but the project's shot if we do indeed need everybodies' info, no
> matter what. Many don't feel comfortable revealing such detailed info, like
> their birth year, and we should respect that.
>
> Can anyone provide insight on the level of necessity to include everyone's
> info.
>
> Nick/Zanimum

??????

Can you cite this piece of law ?
Is the law the same in all countries ? If not, why having to respect
this one ?
If this is correct, should we follow the law ? Or explore a new territory ?

I am really not happy with the idea of crediting only those who will
provide all this information. It is very contrary to my idea of what our
project is. I am even less happy seeing editors should supposingly put
that public on the net. What about everyone privacy ? When I buy a book
by the way, nowhere is such an information provided on the book.

Can the lawyer guys here give some feedback on this issue ?

Anthere