[Foundation-l] Proposing New Projects (was Proposal for a newproject: Wikisomething)

Poe, Marshall MPoe at theatlantic.com
Sat Sep 24 12:37:20 UTC 2005

Thanks very much, Robert, for your good comments. They are very apt.

I was the proposer of Wikimemory, and you are right about my experience, and I suspect those of other proposers.  While I would not say that comments on Foundation-l were exactly hostile, they were not for the most part friendly, supportive, encouraging, numerous, or helpful.  A one line reply like "I think this project should be on wikicities" is really not very satisfying. I, for one, would like an explanation of the various POVs shared.  I tried to offer such explanations, at length, and with a certain amount of reflection and thought.  With one or two exceptions, I rec'd nothing of a similar character.  I'm new to Wikimedia, but my experience has made me wonder just how serious the "new projects" initiative is.  This is a shame, because, as you say, well-meaning people with possibly good ideas are being neglected or even frightened away.  In the end, if you want to attract serious people, you have to be serious.

The fashion in which new projects are vetted at Wikimeida is unprofessional. I mean this with no disrespect. Perhaps it is impossible for an organization such as Wikimedia to be held to such a high standard.  Wikimedia does many things very well (I'm a huge fan of Wikipedia).  But professionalism just might not be in the cards, and perhaps it shouldn't be.  Critics (and I guess I'm one of them) will say that Wikimedia's new proposals initiative fails exactly because it lacks the standard incentives and disincentives built into any real business, that is, a strong devotion to the mission, strong incentives to pursue said mission, and stong dissincentives against unprofessional behavior.  In a successful enterprise, if you don't do your job well, there are consequences.  In this aspect of Wikimedia, there seem to be none.  And perhaps there can be none, because we are all uncompensated volunteers.  Again, critics will say that this once again demonstrates that undisciplined organizations just don't perform very well.  When everybody is responsible, nobody is responsible.

The question, I guess, is this: can people act professionally when they have no motivation other than that they should?  My experience suggests the answer is no, at least in this narrow instance.

I'm withdrawing Wikimemory from consideration as a new project, and am pursuing othere means of realizing it (see memoirbank.com).  I believe in it, and hope I can find others who do to.  Perhaps someday we can begin discussion of something like Wikimemory again, after the idea has matured.  I would welcome that.

I will, of course, continue to be a huge fan of Wikimedia, and will participate in this and other discussions of its future.  Wikimedia can become something truely great, and I'd like to help.  It's up to us.

Good luck with everything.

Best, Marshall Poe