[Foundation-l] Speedy deleting images w/o explicit license

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sun Sep 18 10:07:15 UTC 2005

Dori wrote:
> It's not unknown, as the upload dialog clearly states that what you
> are uploading has to be under the GFDL. So we're now going to delete
> all the images of those who thought it was understood that they would
> be licensing them under the GFDL.

If you look at the category in question, there is almost nothing in
there which could possibly be under the GFDL.  The bulk of it is the
sort of stuff which is _legal_ for us to use under "fair use" but
_undesirable_ for us to use under "fair use".  (And _impossible_ for us
to use under fair use, if it isn't properly sourced.)

> I often didn't bother to tag (or it
> was during the time when we weren't tagging) an upload, and I'm sure
> many others have done the same.

Well, I've been warning about this for a long time.  We used to have a
lot more untagged images, and a huge and ongoing project got rid of the
problem for almost all of the good stuff.  What's left is... well, most
of it has to go away.

--Jimbo