[Foundation-l] New Proposal: WikiMemory

Poe, Marshall MPoe at theatlantic.com
Thu Sep 15 22:09:31 UTC 2005

Thanks for the comments, Mav.

In my conception (hardly original or final), Wikimemory would focus on
common, significant, historical *experiences* rather than the
individuals.  The top level categories in Wikimemory would, then, be
historical experiences: "The Vietnam War," "The Cultural Revolution,"
"Encounters with Jimmy Carter," "The Red Sox winning the World Series,"
"The Beatles Final Concert," "Hurricane Katrina" and so on.  Pretty much
anything with a witness, a place, a date and a bit of significance to
"your community" (very broadly defined) would fit.

Both Wikipeople and (to a lesser extent) Wikimemorial seem focused on
individuals, and that seems to me to be a separate, important kind of
information.  Does that make sense?

Linking the experiences recorded in Wikimemory with entries on the
witnesses in Wikipeople is a great idea, though.

Best, Marshall

Marshall Poe, Ph.D.
The Atlantic Monthly
600 New Hampshire Ave. NW