[Foundation-l] New Proposal: WikiMemory

Poe, Marshall MPoe at theatlantic.com
Thu Sep 15 15:54:17 UTC 2005

Dear Friends:

I've proposed a new wiki--Wikimemory (or Wikimemoir, or IWasThereWiki,
or something better).  It's logged in the Meta section on new proposals.
Here's the pitch:

The idea is to provide a place where anyone can record his or her
memoirs of historically significant events. Most everyone has
participated in such occurrences. Take, for example, the hundreds of
thousands who were affected the recent tragedy in New Orleans.
Unfortunately, there is no repository for the storage of the memories of
such people. Their experiences can neither be shared with others today
(I, for one, would like to read first-hand accounts of the New Orleans
floods), and they will be lost to history tomorrow. In ten, one hundred
or one thousand years, the memoirs of those "who were there" will be
very valuable. Wikimemory will, I hope, allow people all over the world
to record their experiences, share them with others, and pass them to
the future. I've created a mock-up of the site at
http://memoirbank.com/.

A nice tag line for the site: "Everyone has a story. Make yours
history."

I'd love to hear what you think.

Best,

Marshall Poe, Ph.D.