[Foundation-l] Re: Donation drive stopped early with insufficient funds collected

Jakob Voss jakob.voss at nichtich.de
Thu Sep 8 12:30:22 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:

> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>>The building of a coherent global network is a significant technical and
>>organizational challenge that many good people are working hard on,
>
> The German chapter has been in limbo for almost a year now as to how they can
> help globally. It has been my observation that the trustees of that chapter
> want to help globally but the issues relating to what can and can’t be done
> with that money outside of Germany has been a major reason why little has been
> done with that money outside that nation. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
>
> So I simply suggested that everybody consider setting aside the issues that
> have been stopping action for nearly a year. I did *not* suggest that any rash
> decisions be made or that things get decided unilaterally or randomly. But I
> did suggest that issues relating to legal ownership (a major bottleneck - in my
> observation - so far) can be worked out in due time. As is, the great majority
> of the money is just sitting there.

Contracts between chapters and the foundation can help - something we
are unfamiliar with because our community is based on trust but the
tax-and-legal network out there is based on written contracts. Contracts
beween organisations in different countries are complex anyway.

Greetings,
Jakob

P.S: In this message there is a hidden reminder about a contract
regarding logo and trademarks usage that Wikimedia Germany is awaiting
eagerly every day since weeks.