[Foundation-l] Re: We made it !!!!!!

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 3 10:23:58 UTC 2005

Brion Vibber wrote:

> Lars Aronsson wrote:
>
>> Congratulations to the media attention!  However, that article
>> refers to http://wikipedia.fr/ and the website at this URL opens a
>> frameset which includes fr.wikipedia.org.  This has the
>> unfortunate effect that the web browser's address field says
>> http://wikipedia.fr/ even when I go to other articles, making it
>> harder to find a bookmarkable URL for pages.  It would be easy
>> enough for fr.wikipedia.org to contain some JavaScript that
>> escapes the enclosing frameset,
>

> We do have such JavaScript, and it seems to work fine there in breaking
> out so fr.wikipedia.org reaches the top-level. (Tested Safari 2.0.1)
>
>> but it would be better to change
>> wikipedia.fr into a redirect instead of this evil frameset.
>

> Do we own or control it?
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Not the Foundation.

A french a**h*** bought it last fall when we first started to be
featured in the press. We know who he is. We had mail exchanges with him
already to try to get it back.

For now, he redirects to us, with a bad title and some frame issues
editors frequently complain about, but AT LEAST he redirects to us
rather than making cash with a mirror or anything else. This could be
worse...(see http://wikipedia.ru/)

We now have valid trademarks. So the Foundation could normally get the
domain back by going legal. I think we'll do if he starts being really a
problem. For now, stand by...

Ant