[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation in 5 years - Giant brainstorming - a game with rules.

Traroth traroth at yahoo.fr
Fri Sep 2 13:15:30 UTC 2005

I decided to understand this as "what do you want
Wikimedia to be in 5 years", so no "there are much
legal threats against Wikimedia" here...

> ==WMF in 5 years==
> *Board and management

The Board is elected by the community. Jimbo is
regularily re-elected as president.
The Board has the people it needs to work...

> *Staff (the positions, the roles, whether they're
> paid or not)

What is needed... Preferably voluntaries, since they
are more involved, but why not paid ? (see next point)

> *Budget

As much as possible...

> *Fundraising scheme

Donations by patrons (enterprises, private people,
fundations...), without counterpart, subsidy from UN,
UNESCO and States, merchandising. No publicity on the
projects, no fees to access them.

> *Philantropic activity and outreach to get our
> content widely redistributed

The celebrity of Wikimedia make it possible to
militate against patents and copyright, and the whole
world has understand the need of a free internet
access, even in a lost recess in jungle, so everybody
can access to our content. I'm not sure a paper
version of Wikipedia is really a good idea, since it
will be a "under-Wikipedia", without links and so.
Web-links is the only structure of Wikipedia, so a
paper version will need to practicaly rewrite the
whole thing.

> *Projects

I have no idea of serious new projects. Wikicookbook ?
:-)

The Sept-11 Memorial has been removed, like the
Klingon Wikipedia, but after everybody has accept it.

> *Content objectives

Wikibooks has grown much bigger than Wikipedia. All in
2005 existing Wikipedias have grown over 100,000
articles. Wikispecies is again a part of Wikipedia...
Wiktionaries are complete (since it's possible,
contrary to Wikipedia)

> *Software objectives

SVG make pictures freely editable, like text, with a
specific MediaWiki syntax (no need to know SVG).
In all projects, each word can be opened in a
Wiktionary window

> *Relationship between chapters and parent
> organisation

WMF and local chapters are interdependent.
Transparency and regular reporting of activities at a
central and freely accessible place is the rule. Local
chapters negociate with content sources (e.g. museums)
for access.

> *Relationships with the outside world (PR,
> partnerships, etc.)

WMF already got the Nobel prize for Peace in 2008...

> *Other (anything we did not think of)

A corpus of irremovable laws, like a constitution has
been written. These rules garantee that the spirit of
Wikipedia and of the other projects will stay the same
for the 1000 next years.

Traroth