[Foundation-l] Re: Our exponentially increasing costs

Ashar Voultoiz hashar at altern.org
Mon Oct 31 12:43:02 UTC 2005

Dan Grey wrote:
<snip>
> I'd love to hear from the devs about this , but my impression is that
> the system is very highly optimised. If you think you can do better,
> write the code!

The system can be changed to something else :) We could outsource
content display and just take care of editing.

Using en.wikipedia.org as an example:

1/ user access en.wikipedia.org , he is prompted for a mirror.
2/ user get redirected to en.mirror1.wikipedia.org
That mirror content is managed by some external people.
3/ user click edit on en.mirror1.wikipedia.org , he got redirected
to en.editing.wikipedia.org with a notice telling him that the mirror he
comes from might be lagging a bit.
4/ user submit the edit, see its work and next click get redirected to
en.mirror1.wikipedia.org

This way the foundation will just have to handle the editing part and
the rest of content will be outsourced.

Anyway, with kennisnet and yahoo giving us both servers and bandwith ...
Looks like we will have less load on the florida cluster (which is owned
and paid by the foundation).

cheers,

--
Ashar Voultoiz - WP++++