[Juriwiki-l] Re: [Foundation-l] Trademark violation of our 'MediaWiki' mark

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 13:16:44 UTC 2005

--- Angela <beesley at gmail.com> wrote:
> There are 30,000 Google hits for the phrase "MediaWiki hosting" and
> there are no official branding agreements, so I dispute the idea that
> the wording implies this. Is there really anything wrong with saying
> MediaWiki hosting if you are offering to host a site on MediaWiki?

This is what really caught my eye: "Webhosting Provider, Aplus.Net, Launches
Media Wiki" along with the first sentence: "San Diego webhosting provider,
Aplus.Net, has introduced a new offering to its customers - the Media Wiki."
and "The new product is licensed under the GNU Public License, and is the same
system that serves popular collaborative sites such as Wikipedia.org."

How can they launch MediaWiki when it already exists? MediaWiki is *not* a new
product of Aplus.Net. *That* along with the other things I mentioned is
confusing the brand ID.

Read the whole thing here:
http://www.cheaphostingdirectory.com/news-webhosting-provider-aplus-net-launches-media-wiki-1538.html

-- mav