[Juriwiki-l] Re: [Foundation-l] Trademark violation of our 'MediaWiki' mark

Jean-Baptiste Soufron jbsoufron at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 22:04:36 UTC 2005

Arne Klempert wrote:
> On 10/28/05, Jean-Baptiste Soufron <jbsoufron at gmail.com> wrote:
>> After looking at it, they are clearly trying to induce confusion between
>> their wiki offer, the gnu gpl software mediawiki, wikipedia, wiktionnary
>> and wikiquote.
>
> The text is a little bit confusing ("the new product" might sound like
> it's their product), but I see no reason for your "trying to induce"
> thing. And I really don't see any trademark violation here. Of course
> we have to defend our trademarks but we also should avoid trademark
> paranoia.

Well, a good first step would be mentioning that mediawiki is a
registered trademark from another company, and clearly explaining that
is a third party software that they did not develop.

When you look here :
http://www.cheaphostingdirectory.com/news-webhosting-provider-aplus-net-launches-media-wiki-1538.html

As you say he actual text is confusing, which is exactly the criteria
for trademark violations. I don't say we should hurry to the courts, but
we should ask them to be more precise.

JBS, in the dark of the night