[Foundation-l] Re: Privacy concerns

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Fri Oct 28 20:11:38 UTC 2005

W. Guy Finley wrote:

> An IP address cannot in any way, shape, or form be considered to
> be private information and I'm amazed there can be rants back
> and forth about this.

In Europe this is not about "private" but "personal" information,
meaning anything that can be connected with your person, such as
names, addresses, phone numbers, and -perhaps- IP addresses.
Storing and processing such information is not illegal, but has to
follow some rules.  Apparently we still use the Internet all over
this continent, so these rules are possible to comply with.

In a case last week a Swedish court ruled that IP addresses were
not personal information.  But this outcome was far from obvious,
and later rulings could go the other way.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/21/hunt_for_swedish_filesharers/

> It's as simple as this -- you elect to visit Wikipedia, in turn
> your IP and your activity is stored.

If Wikipedia were a Swedish website (it is not), it would be
required by law to provide information about how it uses cookies
and for what purposes.  No problem, a short notice is enough.
The Foundation's privacy policy document already complies with
this, http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Privacy_policy#Cookies
as does the Swedish Wikipedia's cookie information page,
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Cookies

> Make admins sign NDA's about log info?  Unbelievable.  There is
> NOTHING personally identifying there

If it were really harmless, we should ask for all logs to be
published openly, and IP addresses could be listed in articles'
revision history.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)