[Foundation-l] Privacy policy and editing anonymously notice.

Chris Jenkinson chris at starglade.org
Wed Oct 26 23:26:04 UTC 2005

Hi all,

As the Board have been rather slow with publicising the new privacy
policy, I have taken the step of adding a notice to the bottom of
[[MediaWiki:Copyrightstext]] on the English-language Wikipedia (the text
which is displayed when you click "Edit this page"), which mentions that
if you are editing anonymously, your IP address will be publically and
permanently associated with the edits, and if you're editing while
logged in, your IP address will be stored for around 2 weeks.

Someone has also added a link to the privacy policy on the bottom of
every page.

I urge admins on all the various projects to update their project with
this information - make it clear that editing will mean that some
personally-identifiable information is kept about the contributor.

Chris