Our exponentially increasing costs (was Re: [Foundation-l] Re: Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form New Partnership)

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Oct 25 21:19:02 UTC 2005

Daniel Mayer wrote:
> --- Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net> wrote:
>>Anthony makes a good point.  Hardware does break down over time, and has
>>to be replaced.  Even more likely is that it will become obsolete before
>>it breaks down.
>
> When that becomes a significant issue, then the model will need to be updated.
> I've been told that, so far, pretty much all the hardware we've ever bought is
> still in use.

I should point out that it hasn't been that long; we started the Florida
cluster in early 2004 following the Great Double Server Crash of
Christmas 2003.

The oldest machine we have in service is Larousse, an 866-MHz Pentium
III which does some specialized and backup services, and used to be our
secondary web server in the old California location.

Everything else is less than two years old, with the oldest generation
being 2.6GHz Pentium IVs. Not quite obsolete yet!

A number of machines have had to go out for repair or replacement over
time (usually faulty memory, sometimes failed disks), but most are still
chugging away.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)