[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form NewPartnership

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Tue Oct 25 17:07:00 UTC 2005

GerardM wrote:

>On 10/25/05, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
>

>>Delirium wrote:

>>and

>>>Well, if the Foundation really wanted to find out, they could issue an
>>>ultimatum---we're starting GoogleAds tomorrow, and anyone opposed to
>>>advertising on Wikipedia can get out (and good riddance!).
>>>
>>>Of course, they are unlikely to do so. =]
>>>
>>>-Mark
>>>

>>Attitudes like this are going to destroy the project entirely.
>>

>I don't have any answers this these questions for the most part, but I
>

>>have seen them all raised on this mailing list in many different forums.
>>Rather than telling people to "get lost and never come back, we don't
>>need you", it is far better the make the people having complaints to
>>become part of the solution. The decision to have ads on Wikipedia or
>>not is just a small part of much larger issues here, and it never does
>>any good to drive people away... especially people who are genuinely
>>trying to make this a bettter place in the first place. We are not
>>talking about driving away vandals and trolls here, but rather people
>>who have made some significant contributions to this community.
>>

>Nobody wants people and particularly editors to go away. Do not even suggest
>that. And do not use it as an argument why having more money is bad. We can
>use money to fulfill our aim: bringing information that is free and NPOV to
>all people in all languages.
>
>Thanks,
>GerardM

Read what I was replying to.  Telling editors to leave and never come
back was precisely the intent of the message, unless there is something
here I don't understand.  I am suggesting that if this is handled in the
wrong way that people will leave, and it will create wounds that will
take a long time to heal here.  Clearly this whole episode was
mishandled, and I'm trying to find a solution to the problem that can
heal all of the hurt feelings.

Some people will take offense at just about any action, and I understand
that too.  This will be an "excuse" for them to leave although if you
really cornered those editors who will leave as to why they stopped
contributing, this whole ad controversy will only be a very minor part
of other issues they are dealing with.

--
Robert Scott Horning