[Foundation-l] Benefits of advertising (was Re: Our exponentially increasing costs)

Gerrit Holl gerrit at nl.linux.org
Tue Oct 25 12:00:31 UTC 2005

Jimmy Wales wrote:
> Then as a longstanding member of the community with a good reputation, I
> ask for your help in explaining to them how it is *not* advertising.  In
> order to do that, you'll have to stop spinning wild accusations first
> and ask some basic questions about the deal until you understand it.

I assume good faith, but there is at least one thing I still fail to
understand. As I understand it, Wikipedia will receive 50% of the money
made by ad-clicks in the software product by Answers.com. How does this
revenue reduce to 0 if users remove the link from Wikipedia? Surely
answers.com will advertise the software on their own website as well? Or
will it be distinguished how people downloaded it?

Is it like this: "It is in the interest of Wikipedia to prominently
feature the product, because the product generates revenue for
Wikipedia"?

Gerrit.

--
Temperature in Luleå, Norrbotten, Sweden:
| Current temperature   05-10-25 13:49:46   -5.3 degrees Celsius ( 22.5F) |