[Foundation-l] Answers.com and Wikimedia Foundation to Form NewPartnership

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Oct 24 19:44:04 UTC 2005

Angela wrote:

>In a scenario which is hard to imagine ever occurring on Wikipedia,
>the influence could come from the fact that AdSense relies on context,
>and particular keywords on a page will lead to
>higher-revenue-generating ads. So, attempts to drop phrases like
>"credit repair" into articles could lead to greater revenues and might
>encourage some to insert an odd sort of influence on the content for
>this purpose. It would, of course, be violating Google's terms of
>service and not something I would recommend doing. :)

AdSense-style ads would also lead to the potentially undesirable
scenario where companies (or individuals) would be able to buy text on a
particular Wikipedia article's page, for example to refute it or point
to an advocacy page attacking the viewpoints the article summarizes.
There's no way to do this directly, but some trial-and-error playing
with keywords could allow an advertiser to,. with high probability, get
their ads to appear on specific Wikipedia pages in that manner.

-Mark